Friday, June 14, 2013

Too Many Medicine Bottles? Duct Tape to the Rescue!



While cleaning house one day, I was baffled by all the extra little medicine bottles that had accumulated. I kept meaning to "recycle" them. 

I personally think they are GREAT for small items - in your purse, or for travel. Like Q-Tips! However, they are not very attractive. 

My daughter has an obsession with the decorative Duct Tape, so I got to thinking. She had left it on the coffee table. I decided to get in touch with my creative side. I am NO MARTHA STEWART, but was thrilled that I had personally come up with an idea as such. 

Here is what you need: 

Medicine bottle(s), Decorative Duct Tape, Scissors - and prior to starting some warm, soapy water. If you want to DARE to get the labels off quicker - use Goof Off but I must warn you it's POTENT. Use in a well-lit area AND follow instructions on bottle along with it's warnings. 

(1) Soak and scrub bottles to remove labels. 

(2) Dry very well - inside and out 

(3) Start by pulling tape out far enough over bottom, then cut around bottle with scissors leaving just enough extra to fold over the edges. You'll want enough so that when you wrap main part of bottle, it will cover the edging that you folder up over bottom. 

(4) Apply tape of choice around body of bottle. Make sure that you put it only up far enough that you can still put the lid on. The tape could inhibit the lid from closing if you put it up too high. 

(5) For the lid, its a bit more tricky. I cut a circle out of the tape and place it on. 

Practice makes perfect. My first attempt was sloppy but others still asked me where I bought them! You can get really creative!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I use medical tape all the time especially for knuckle wrappings. Boxing is a huge hobby of mine which is very therapeutic. It allows me to release all of the stress from a long day of work. I particularly like to use Omnifix adhesive tape which works well for my sensitive skin. I haven't thought about using it for my medicine bottles though, it looks like a neat diy project!

    ReplyDelete